Life and Work - a conversation with an Engineer

John is a fantastic network engineer. Stocky, well built, sharp penetrating eyes, a drawling southern accent - he was probably the most attentive in our group. He asked questions in a manner that is unlikely to offend anybody, interjected his studied comments with a gentleness that enhanced the quality of subject being taught without deviating from the topic- John presented himself as befitting a professional with over twenty years of networking experience behind him. His knowledge of network transport protocols was almost eerie to say the least. He would talk of bytes, zeros and ones, routers, TCP layers - in such intimate tones that an outsider happening to overhear would definitely assume something is wrong with him. Probably – a mental imbalance. His standard line over the last five days “Network packets don’t lie”. He was sitting next to me, and so both of us developed a bond that comes when two individuals are in a similar quest to understand technical nuances. We arrived early, went to lunch together, hung around after day’s work talking about myriad things. He was, in short, a delight to know.
During one of our conversations earlier this week, our discussion somehow meandered towards organization, growth and success within an organization. John said “You know Bala, I have never bargained or argued with my manager during any of my yearly appraisals. I have been with this company for last ten years. And each time, I have gotten those regular hikes that everyone else got, and frankly, I have never - and I am being very candid here with you - never had this feeling that I have been let down by Company or I have been undervalued; though I know that in our support team , I probably resolve more problems than most. I work from home. Have three daughters, and I have been able to take all three to school each day , bring them back; been there for them whenever they have wanted me, tuck them into bed, taken vacations with all of them – all this would not have possible if not for the freedom, trust and flexibility this organization provides. They have tremendous respect for what I do, but somehow all this has never really translated into money, and I care less you know, I love this world of network packets. Working with them gives me a transcendental experience. My Management understands this pulse well; they know I am there if there is something critical to be attended to and I will give it my best; and give me the space that I need to grow and live a more holistic life, and more importantly understands my priorities. The point Bala, is that I consider all this to be intangible benefits that cannot be reckoned in monetary terms. And each time, when one of my friends chide me that I am not being ambitious enough, or should be bullying my organization into giving me an incredible hike or that great promotion that is given to a less deserving person- I always politely remind them that what I truly value in life is something money alone can never provide me, and also make it a point to remind them that no matter how much one makes, or how “successful” one is - really important things in life often have nothing to do with them.. Of course, the company pays me well to take care of my family comfortably, and my needs. I have managed to send all my three kids to college. With me being around, they studied better, very more psychologically comfortable- and that was important for their career choices. Not for a moment am I questioning the need for a solid economic base, but to be purely driven by this unceasing maddening need to look at growth only in terms of gross annual income is somehow not ok with me. I am a biker (have a Harley with me.., bought it after five to six years of regular savings.. He laughed a little), play the guitar as part of a local band, a volunteer at community college, read a lot, have fun - in all, I am a contented man. Yes, probably earning a little less than what industry pays for one with my experience and expertise, but I would not trade what I am doing right now for anything else… “
A very interesting point of view. This is the time of the year when many organizations conduct their annual appraisals; Bonuses and Hikes largely figure in such discussions. In fact, for many growth is only always measured only in terms of increased money and position. We cannot blame them -the way we have structured our society, nothing seems more indicative of success than this. And it is in this context, John’s attitude found resonance in me. Growth to me is an inner flowering of peace and contentment that comes not from a lack of ambition or drive, but an understanding that those are only miniscule part of life, and there are deeper interests and concerns that need to be tapped. Of course, in organized society, one must be able to live comfortably, and to that extant money is required but beyond it, it must be very quality of life that must fulfill us. And it often found true, that if we don’t compulsively crave after material gains, mysteriously it finds its way towards us. If quality of our work is impeccable, and pursuit of excellence is our aim - then there is no way the system can avoid recognizing it, or, looking at it from an other perspective - we don’t feel the pain or lack of such recognition. We do something because we love doing it. And what is done through love rarely goes wrong. That is a beautiful state to be in. But unfortunately, for most, the thinking is along these lines: Make me financially more stable, or give me a better position, then I shall work better. Life doesn’t always work that way. In John’s case, his work, his creativity, his tremendous love for whatever he is doing, his beautiful family - is his only drive. Nothing else comes in his way. And the result is obvious: he is a happy man - at peace with himself and the world around him. I think Steve jobs put in well when he said ““The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.” And let me add - once, you have found your inner love, then do it for its own sake. For such people, success is not something they need to aspire, achieve or measure in monetary terms, it is in their very nature and its fulfillment is visible in each act. And thankfully, there are many like John in our world…
God bless…
Yours in mortality,
Bala

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jottings - Slice of Life - 238 ( Mystic Pizza - The birth of Julia Roberts as an actor)

Jottings - Slice of life - 292 ( Bhanu and I - thirty years of memories, and accumulating more)