Jottings : Slice of life - 71 (On my Birthday...)

Jottings : Slice of life - 71 (On my Birthday...)
(PS : I request all my friends to pls accept this note as my personal thanks for taking time to remember and wish me this day. It is truly humbling. Thanks again)
Words are inadequate to express the deep feeling of gratitude I feel on being remembered and wished on my Birthday by so many good friends from all around the globe. It is a privilege, a blessing that cannot be measured or reciprocated in any kind. I can only offer a weak “Thank you” to all of you, and remain grateful. Over the years, I have often wondered, why should a Man should celebrate his chronological birthdate as something special. Any answer I could think of seemed trivial, and certainly not worthy of celebration. Five years ago, I hit upon a deep , existential realization while lying in a hospital bed that made real definitive sense to me, personally. The fact that life had chosen a particular moment in time to help this human body, with life pulsating in every cell, equipped in all respects to survive, grow and prosper, come out of its mothers womb - not a day late or early - just right to ensure its emergence as a physiologically complete organism is cause enough to be elated, grateful and celebrating. It is a miracle, and nothing short of it. From the time when a determined, wriggly sperm among millions pierced an equally stubborn and vigilant ovary - to the flowering of every minute part of this complex organism and its ultimate release into this world with a self consciousness that uniquely marks a human child - is an astounding act of creation, the very thought of which should make ones spine tingle and hair rise on its skin. It is this deep feeling of mystery, awe, gratitude ,surprise and most importantly the tremendous fortune to be one of the successful experiments of life among millions of its permutations, combinations and failures - that we celebrate each year on a specific date. Not for anything else. Not for our social status, intellectual abilities or emotional ties. It is sheer veneration of that immensely intelligent life force which made this body-mind organism possible.
The beauty of it is that there is no guarantee to its continued blessings, and in that sense the very nature of its ephemerality lends a deep poignancy to each passing Birthday. Though all of us do wish each other in all sincerity and belief “Many more happy returns of the day”, we do know in the deep recesses of our heart that we are not very sure, and can only hope it be so. That is perfectly alright. The truth is : Anything beautiful cannot be lasting. A rose will not be a rose if its continually luminous and fresh. Likewise, every life is precious only because it is temporary. And there is no sadness to this attitude. To the contrary, it is great source of joy. That I am alive now, and able to celebrate this day with all you is the richest grace I can ever hope for. If I cannot enjoy this day and accept your blessings and wishes, it would be a betrayal of trust in this life force which still keeps me alive and kicking.
So I join all of you in wishing myself a wonderful Birthday, and send out a flying kiss with all the love I can muster to that cosmic force which makes all this possible.
God bless..
Yours in mortality,
Bala

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jottings - Slice of Life - 238 ( Mystic Pizza - The birth of Julia Roberts as an actor)

Jottings - Slice of life - 292 ( Bhanu and I - thirty years of memories, and accumulating more)