When work is passion and play - Conversation with an Air Hostess

Two sets of Air attendants with two different kinds of values they bring to the job: On my way to Melbourne, I travelled Virgin Australia- manned by some of the finest young ladies in the business: Immaculately dressed in red, glowing complexion, beautiful, smart, well groomed, eyes glimmering with fierce pride and a gait that exuded raw confidence in their own selves, professional by the book with a not an extra glance or word more, sticking punctually to their codified schedules with robotic rigor... And on my return journey , I was on a Delta flight operated by mature (many of them old) ladies whose eyes spoke of little weariness and lots of experience; tolerant, going about their job with a practiced and unpretentious ease - smiling without reservations, patting someone’s back with natural maternal affection, spending extra time with young mothers whispering sweet nothings to their kids; gently chastising self-absorbed husbands, walking down the aisle regularly(out of schedule..) with a tray of water and beverages making sure the elderly passengers are properly hydrated ; making recommendations on which option to pick for Dinner - in short, they belonged to a different era. The contrast between both of teams was remarkable..
Flying over the Pacific on my way back, almost everybody in first class were fast asleep with their entertainment turned on. The usually turbulent pacific weather was strangely peaceful, and the Airbus was cruising gently at an altitude of 33,000 feet. I just finished reading a wonderful book "God and the unconscious" by an English theologian Victor white - Fascinating essays on Jungian archetypes and Christian imagery. My eyes were tired and I needed to get my blood circulation going after hours of sedentary reading. I walked up to the Attendant station and found two elderly hostesses who had served my dinner quietly sitting- not doing anything in particular. I requested for a glass of hot milk, and I stood there talking to them.
One of them was an elderly blonde, and she said “This is my 40th year on the skies. And I have loved every moment of it. In my younger days, becoming a flight attendant wasn't a stepping stone to something else. It was a dream to fly in the air, rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous, visiting places, meeting people... In fact, I met my husband on such trip to Italy. He was a waiter in the hotel we were accommodated. He later became a Flight attendant himself... I still remember my first instructor’s beaming voice as he told us “On air, every guest who flies us with us should get out of the aircraft never to forget their experience on board. They must get down with the feeling that they have been part of a tremendous human achievement - the ability to fly… And each time they come back, this experience should be renewed and relived…
I interjected “So wonderful to hear your story. However, being a frequent traveler myself, I must say that the Job has lost its lustre. Attendants have become more beautiful, young, and physically presentable - but I guess, somewhere, that quality of service and hospitality has been sacrificed. .. , and I guess, travelers have increased a million times as well and flying is no more considered a luxury and guests are equally inconsiderate.". I told her about my impressions on my onward journey- that though the girls and boys aboard were pleasant, they gave me the feeling that they were doing us a favor.
“Yes, it is true..." She continued.." You see that is the problem… The excitement, the pride in flying is no there anymore. All of us get used to things - Guests and attendants both. As Human beings, we start taking our blessings, privileges, luxuries for granted. Until, There is a crisis, we don’t stop to count or appreciate our gifts. In the seventies, every security presentation at the beginning was a thing of great excitement. Attendants were passionate about their demonstrations, and more importantly, every guest on board would listen to it wide-eyed - knowing the importance of those activities or even for thrill of it. The entire performance was charged and vibrant. Every cup of drink or food served was a miracle - a dream come true – of eating and drinking thousands of feet up in the air. Everybody understood it… But now, like anything else, flight travel is a just another monotonous thing. There is palpable boredom, unless there is turbulence… (She chuckled…)
“And believe me, I am not surprised that youngsters are not interested in this career long term. The general respectability of a flight attendants job has come down, and so have the salaries. There is more gloss than substance. Girls and boys do this after college for some quick money and travel; and once they get bored they move on to something more “real”… Airlines are happy with this. It keeps their costs down; and they don’t care. Guests aren’t bothered as well. Mutual respect, courtesies and decorum are fast becoming a thing of the past…. Hmmmm but I still love my job... My body complains, but the sheer delight and happiness or being up in the skies still pushes me on. Last month, we had a family reunion in Louisville, and my Grandchildren wanted to me to retire; come and stay with them. They are doing very well… But you know, I cannot think of not doing what I am doing. It is a tiring, unthankful job- but I have still managed to retain my inner fascination for it. Gosh - It’s time for one walk down the aisle…..” So saying, she got ready to lumber along again with a smile on her face.
Admirable!! Is the word that issued from my lips. I wish all of us can find such passion, depth in work. But, I guess to find it, one must know what interests us, or what would we love doing the most? - And do it.. The key to excellence at work and satisfaction is not the money, or the position - but the energy, freshness and verve we can bring to our work each day, each moment. If we don’t enjoy it, then chances are we aren’t doing what we are supposed to be doing.
God bless…
Yours in life,
Bala

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jottings - Slice of Life - 238 ( Mystic Pizza - The birth of Julia Roberts as an actor)

Jottings - Slice of life - 292 ( Bhanu and I - thirty years of memories, and accumulating more)